Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Thrift Store Therapy---Bebe, The Haunting Bell

I saw this dear little bell in a thrift store recently. The price was a little higher than I wanted to pay, so I left it behind. But...the bell haunted me. I thought about it all day, and I had vivid dreams about it that night.


The next day I went back to the thrift. It was still there. I bought it.


Turned out it isn't just a bell---it's a rattle. For babies. Hence the inscription "Bebe" on it, which is French for "baby".


Not only is it a rattle, and likely sterling silver, it's Victorian/Edwardian era. Woooo. You don't find much Victorian/Edwardian out in the wild anymore. Most of that stuff gets snared out of the donation piles and goes straight to online auctions and such. So this was a rare and wonderful find indeed!


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you went back for it. It's so cute.
    These Edwardian/Victorian baby rattles often pop up on British antique shows and command good prices. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. What a fascinating object. Congrats on coming to your senses and going back to get it.

    ReplyDelete