Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Going "Into the Woods"



Into The Woods recently became available on Netflix so I took a chance and watched it. First off, I will say I hate most Broadway and show tunes and this movie is based on a Broadway play from the 80s so it has plenty of those. But...they were tolerable. Otherwise, I thought the movie was pretty great. It has a lot of good, well-known actors/actresses---Meryl Streep as the witch, plus Emily Blunt, Johnny Depp, Christine Baranski and Tracey Ullman to boot. And the costumes are fantastic. There is a great deal of humor (the scene with the princes standing on the waterfall and melodramatically tearing their shirts open had me rolling on the floor). There is tragedy as well; all does not end happily, and there are surprising little pops of violence that remind us of the brutality of the original tales. Johnny Depp does a wicked turn as a truly sleazy wolf. The rest of the more unknown actors were certainly equal to the task. The way the story takes traditional fairy tales (Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella) and combines them into one sweeping tale did not piss me off the way I thought it might. Clever, entertaining and filled with great outfits (Meryl Streep's dark blue attire at the end of the movie is particularly notable), I gotta recommend it---even if you don't like show tunes :)

7 comments:

  1. I resisted for a while 'cause it looks kind of trite but I may have to check this out. I'm a shamefully admitted hipstery art-housey movie snob but I do enjoy watching (and judging!) all types :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid of triteness as well---but I was pleasantly surprised. There are so few good fantasy/fairytale movies out there and they usually disappoint me horribly so I was glad to find one that didn't turn me off.

      Delete
  2. I used to love musicals, now not so much. Thanks for this thoughtful review. My thought on this kind of production is usually, the script must be mediocre if they have to rely on so many stars to drag me out to see it. I might watch this now if it comes my way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I tried it twice on the plane but couldn't do the musical thing. Flights from Houston to London aren't easy. I have wanted to see it - maybe it will work at home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the singing just might be too much for some people, and I can understand that! The only other musical I have ever liked has been "Wicked".

      Delete
  4. Me and the youngest were going to go see it at the theatre but it didn't get very good reviews so we passed and saw the last Hobbit movie instead. Probably should have seen this one. Especially if the costumes are good, then I can live with the singing bits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhhh, don't get me started on the Hobbit. I made it through the first one, and then halfway through the second, before I abandoned it in disgust. I can't believe what they did to it!

      Delete