Saturday, November 29, 2014

What I Did On Black Friday


I have essentially been boycotting Black Friday for years. The crowds, the noise, the excessive consumerism, the chance of bodily harm....not worth it for me and most of the stuff out there in the malls and big box retailers isn't what I want or would want to give to other people, or could even afford on sale. Last year I started a tradition of posting my alternative activities on this oh-so-American day (although I was appalled to see that it has spread to London!!!). Last year it was all about not getting dressed and drinking tea and reading books. This year, a trip to the coast and appreciating the dramatic beauty of our ocean:

Hobbity coastal forest


And look, another amanita!! 




video


It was so windy I could barely keep the camera straight to take this small snippet. The ocean foam was blowing off the sea and coating the shoreline like whipped cream.

All in all, much more refreshing than standing in line at Walmart :)

Today is Small Business Saturday and I will be leaving the house to visit a couple of local stores to pick up some small gifts. I am not anti-retail. I have Etsy shops after all! But I am a proponent of small businesses, whether on the web or based locally.

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

  1. Mushrooms and nature. PERFECT Black Friday. I've had to work it but I will NEVER shop it. Nope. Nothing I want that bad. Consumerism. BOO. The older I get the less I want stuff. The desire for less grows exponentially. I want experiences, not crap. LOVE that mushroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm there with you on that. Less crap, more meaningful experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never participated in Black Friday. There are better deals on Ebay year round.

    ReplyDelete