Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Further Mushroom Festivities



 In keeping with the mushroom theme of my former post, I thought I'd share some pictures from this weekend's Yachats Village Mushroom Festival. Located in a charming coastal town, this festival is smaller than the other one I usually attend, but it more than makes up for it's size with it's overall spirit---the whole town gets into a mushroomy mood. 

I have to say that our weather has been very dry and hot this year. I was a little worried about how many mushrooms might actually be out by the time the festival occurred, given how little moisture there was. Fortunately, it rained a few days beforehand and when I stopped with my friend to go on a favorite little forest path, we saw tons of new mushrooms sprouting out of the pine-needle carpet:







This bode well for the festival and, indeed, there were plenty to be seen, both on the walk we attended and the display that was set up in the Lion's Hall.

Amanita Muscaria


Cauliflower Mushroom

The mushroom walk revealed not only amazing mushrooms,


Lobster Mushroom


Boletus


But also this guy, who was nestled down in the moss next to a clump of small fungus:

A newt? A salamander?



We also visited the Giant Spruce Tree which has an opening under it large enough to get inside:


In town, we made a stop at the Lion's Thrift Store and, in keeping with the woodland flavor of the day, we found these awesome fabric fern napkins for a quarter apiece!


I have to share this with you, a present my friend got on Etsy and gave me in honor of our mushroom celebrations:

Cart Before The Horse

Incidentally, if you are interested in Amanita Muscaria and it's presence in folklore and history, please see my friend's blog Raven's Bread, where she has long been collecting various images of the Amanita in art and culture.

Ye olde disclaimer--I am not a mycologist. I present these pictures for our mutual enjoyment, not for identification purposes. If you are going to collect mushrooms, do so with an experienced mushroomer.

2 comments:

  1. Tilda, that fabric is delightful, and oh how adorable that gift is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mushroom doll. Adorable! Thanks for sharing the link to that store too. Cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete