Sunday, September 21, 2014

Thrift Store Therapy---Bells, Masks and Cat Birthdays


It's been almost 1 year since I found my cat, Mr Scampers, in a box in a parking lot. He has grown into a fine young man, although he still breaks stuff now and again. He can't break this vintage Scandinavian (or German?)  brass bell I found, though---what a great piece with it's little hand painted scene and woven handle! I was super happy to find it and it was half off to boot!


I also came across this tole painted star tin:





Here is an enigmatic piece---a mobile with folk art figures. I am obsessed with corn dollies and other minimalistic folk art figures so I was happy to find this unusual decoration:









I then came across this book in one of my favorite charity shops---it's funny, I have such a good thrift radar these days that I can be in one isle of the store and just catch the barest glimpse of something across the way and know that it's something good and vintage. 25-odd years of thrifting hones the perceptions. I was looking at teacups and suddenly became aware of this book on the other side of the store! Anyways, I had never heard of May Gibbs and was delighted to find that she was an Englishwoman living in Australia and writing Australian fairy stories in the 40s. I am familiar with the settings of European fairy tales and was very interested to see the unique Australian flora and fauna that make up the tales in " Snugglepot and Cuddlepie".









And, finally, I was super stoked to find these paper masks in the same store that I found the book. I was admiring a friend's paper masks not too long ago, had looked at some on Etsy and was really wishing I had some---so imagine my delight when I saw these:





This is one of my favorites, a harvest person made of fruit and vegetables. The back of the mask says it is based on the work of Guiseppe Arcimboldo who was painting in the 1500s and who happens to be one of my favorite artists. I had the good fortune to view a couple of his original works in the Louvre several years ago. 

I also found some great dresses on this particular thrifting expedition and I will make one of my rare fashion posts showcasing them at some point---maybe wearing some of these great masks!! Halloween is just around the corner, you know, and now is an excellent time to hit the thrifts---they tend to bring out all of the crazy stuff they have been hoarding for the costume season. Happy thrifting!

linking up with SirThriftALot and Thriftasaurus



8 comments:

  1. Mr Scampers need a BIG SQUEEZE!
    Love that bell! I grew up on those May Gibbs books! I still find them enchanting. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so beautiful he outshines all your treasure. The best find ever! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Scampers is one of the best cat names ever, and he is a very handsome boy! The mobile is VERY cool, as are those masks, and the illustrations in the May Gibbs book. What great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, all your finds are just wonderful! I'm in love with those cute masks, the fox is my favorite!

    And your kitty is so handsome, he's lucky to have you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tilda,
    I adore your white cat, very handsome boy!
    What a lovely collection of treasures and the woodsy masks are great. I would put them on the wall if they were mine! ;-)
    Lovely to find your blog, will visit again.
    Best wishes,
    Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo---I looked at your work---just beautiful!

      Delete