Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Thrift Store Therapy---Vintage Bigfoot Board Game!

I've got a thing about Bigfoot. I think its because when I was a kid in the 70s, my Dad took me to see one of the many Bigfoot movies of the era, quite possibly "The Legend Of Boggy Creek". As I recall, we went and saw it twice! There were tons of movies made during that time period---see "Sasquatch in the Seventies" for a list of movies and an eloquent discussion on the appeal of this sub-genre of film. I've come to realize that Bigfoot is America's version of the European "Wilder Mann" archetype that I have been so fascinated with (and maybe I've been fascinated with Wilder Mann because of Bigfoot). But enough analysis---the 70s were also a time of board games, and look what board game I found: Bigfoot The Giant Snow Monster Game! Made in 1977!

Mr Scampers feels like he might want to play too...
I picked this up for 1.99 at a Goodwill, and I was so excited that I stopped shopping and went straight to the register.

Takes place in Alaska:





 And, best of all, it has a plastic Bigfoot figurine that you stomp around the board with!



I sat down and played it with my husband. In all honesty, it was a bit tedious, even for a retro enthusiast like myself. But its a great collectible with awesome cover graphics and is a fabulous souvenir of the Sasquatch-obsessed 70s.

Linking up with Sir-Thrift-a-Lot's Thriftasaurus

4 comments:

  1. That game looks incredible. And that kitty head reminds me of my Yuko, awwww

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the game! I think I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh I have a good friend that would go gaga over the sasquahitash stash She IS STILL a firm believer !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's definitely a good find!

    http://taradoestraveling.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete