Friday, January 17, 2014

We Are Wild



I'm big on costuming and masks. I attend a variety of events that involve costuming. The above video is an event I participated in recently---a Perchtenlauf. This is a tradition that originated in Alpine countries, such as Austria, where people dress up in various monster costumes to "drive off the dark". Its Winter Solstice related---having just finished up with the longest nights of the year, we in the northern hemisphere are gradually returning to longer days. The Perchtenlauf harkens back to the times when winters were particularly harsh for people---when the edge between surviving them, or not, was very thin. The tradition is hundreds, if not thousands, of years old. Only the Inquisition managed to put a dent in it, and even then, remote villages in the high mountains that rarely saw inquisitors carried on with the tradition.

Some people find it scary---some find it funny. Most of the people who saw our procession were probably thinking "what the heck???". I enjoyed bringing a bit of street theater to some unsuspecting people--and also participating in an event with roots deep in the past.

The guy that put together the video also made a silly version :).




6 comments:

  1. Love it! What a difference the music makes, hey Tilda? LOL

    So which one were you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am partial to the one with the Benny Hill music, ha ha!!

      Delete
  2. How interesting! Not only am I enthused about costuming, I'm also curious about ancient traditions. This event is so cool. It's fascinating to attend current parties and see their ancient roots still alive. E.g., Mardi Gras, Mummers Parade, et al.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true...these things live on no matter what, and go through some fascinating
      evolution. I've never been to a Mardi Gras, but I plan to some day :)

      Delete
  3. Creep but fun! I'd totally participate in something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I'm a big fan of costumes/masks, too.

    ReplyDelete