Friday, December 20, 2013

Doilies and Sticks

  

 My friend said yesterday "Boy, things hanging off of sticks sure are popular these days!" It cracked me up, but its also very true. And I have to say it---things hanging off of sticks were popular decor in the 70s as well (and I know that because I was a kid in the 70s). I decided to tap that rustic retro vibe and hang some stuff off of sticks in my own home. Above you see a nice smooth piece of driftwood I found and three vintage ornaments I recently thrifted. At first glance they look like doilies---turns out they are clever knotwork:
I hung the whole thing on some vintage crochet trim.

I used the same trim to string another batch of thrift store doilies for a homespun garland:



I also took some pine boughs and a stick I cut from a tree in my yard and propped them in the corner. I hung some ornaments off of the stick---a mushroom, gnome and squirrel, all gifted to me by my mother-in-law. She knows me so well!




Even Tiger Baby got in on the decorating:


Doily cat coat! New in cat fashion, dontcha know :)




5 comments:

  1. LOL, I went to a craft sale the other day and they had sticks hanging off sticks! I think they were supposed to be windchimes but they didn't make any noise. :P

    I like your gnome! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha!! Sticks hanging off of sticks was inevitable, I suppose :)

      Delete
  2. I love the knot-work snowflakes and the garland - how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! i love things on sticks, too! Not sure about kitty's coat, though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she shook it off soon after I took the picture :) Tiger Baby is not one for dressing up.

      Delete