Monday, November 4, 2013

Thrift Store Therapy---Whole Lotta Weird


I've come across some really wacky stuff in the thrifts lately. I tend to like the wacky, the super-kitschy and the just plain bizarre, so that stuff often comes home with me. You may be asking yourself, what the hoozle is that thing I am looking at above, Tilda? Well, my dears, that is a hand-carved, wood-burned figurine of Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster!


I just love this truly one-of-a-kind stuff. This piece strays into folk art territory. The wood-burning is really well done!

Here we have a big-eyed Lee print affixed to a thick piece of cork. I've never come across a big-eye decoupaged onto cork before...


Is it just me or is this picture downright creepy? I used to be really into collecting the weirder religious art I would find in the thrifts---then I repented (ha ha!) and gave it all away. This one was just too freaky to leave behind (ha ha again!!).


There is a whole genre of mid century "wood" ceramics. This one is made by Gin and is better quality than some of the others I have seen.








This little ceramic gnome house is for simmering potpourri.

 
Naturally, when I see cats dressed in clothes, I have to have it. Despite the hideous lace ruffles which are almost too much for even me :)




And finally, a fab plastic mushroom ring! 

What weird stuff have you found lately?

Linking up with Thriftasaurus



6 comments:

  1. Loving the little ceramic gnome home. Too cute! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love wooden Nessie !
    I grew up with the Big Eyes all over my bedroom walls when I was little (sounds a bit odd but true . My mom use to decorate with them .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the spooky church art, and naturally Nessie too! :-) Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I just dies. That church print....wait should I say OMG I just got raptured? Its amazing!! So I see your Pacific northwest. HI!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! I love odd stuff and a wooden Nessie fits the bill. Thrifting is like searching for treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool finds! I love the mushroom ring. I can think of so many things to do with that!!

    ReplyDelete