Sunday, September 15, 2013

Mushroom Mystery Solved! The Bleeding Tooth


Back in this post I talked about my section hike on the PCT and how I saw the "blood" oozing mushroom you see above. I had never seen anything like it and thought it was some sort of amanita. Turns out its called the "Bleeding Tooth" and is the species Hydnellum Peckii. See here for some more information. The "tooth" part of the name apparently comes from the underside of the mushroom looking like teeth. I was afraid to touch it so I never saw what the underside looked like. My fears were displaced however, as it is listed as not poisonous---but you wouldn't want to eat it because apparently it tastes terrible (which means someone did sample it at some point, ha ha). I feel fortunate to have come across this interesting fungus. Here are some more that I saw on my trip (and I have no idea what types they are, so they are not identified):

a green mushroom!

a heart-shaped mushroom, yay!
someone (a chipmunk, I'll bet) has been nibbling this one.




Fabulous mushrooms are another reason why I adore the fall season :)

7 comments:

  1. LOL, that mushroom had me so intrigued I Googled around until I found out it was called a Bleeding Tooth mushroom, too! I think it's pretty amazing that you even found one, Tilda! I took some more pictures of mushrooms this weekend - and also of the wee beastie who was eating one. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you post your mushroom photos, Lynne. I want to see what is growing in your part of the world!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I definitely will, Tilda - I think I'll combine a post for linnea-maria who wants to see the spouse's birdhouses with your request for mushroom photos. That should fit together nicely somehow, right? :D

      Delete
  2. I am fascinated by the shapes and sizes of mushrooms , then again I like all things woodsy .
    That "bleeding tooth" mushroom is quite unique . This month at some point I will have to hike around and get some mushroom photos for a post theme , thanks for the inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to seeing what mushrooms you've got in your forest, Willow. Next month I am attending the annual Mushroom Show so maybe I will have a better idea of what some of these mushrooms are :)

      Delete
  3. I think I would have peed my pants if I came across a bleeding mushroom without knowing what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You learn something new every day! I LOVE that bleeding mushroom, gorgeous discovery!

    ReplyDelete