Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Devil's Goblet


July was a very hard month, dear viewers. Two people close to me passed away, and a third was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. To top it off, a large tree branch fell off a maple tree and completely destroyed the windshield of my car. On my wedding anniversary. Right before taking off to go camping.

I think I cried almost every day of the month.

After getting the windshield fixed, however, my dear husband and I finally took off last Friday and went camping. And---it was spectacular. We camped at the site that we were married at a decade ago.
We arrived with no reservations and got the last site available and had great weather all weekend.


We hiked and poked around in tidepools and sat by the campfire. It did my soul good.



a pink sea anemone
sea urchins




We visited the Giant Spruce Tree, a famous resident of the micro-clime where the campsite is situated. 

The view from inside the tree!!
A famous Pacific Northwest dweller--the banana slug



We also visited the Devil's Churn, a long chasm where the sea heaves and swells endlessly and slams into the back of an underground sea cavc:



And, we found a feature I had never seen before on previous trips. A moderately sized bowl in the rock where the sea shoots in through a hole and rapidly fills up the bowl. Just as quickly, the tide sucks the water out again. We dubbed it "The Devil's Goblet"

video
Quite terrifying, really! And big enough to fall into, so I kept my distance.


And finally, some lovely mushrooms along a nature trail.

If there is one thing I got out of the month of July, it is this. Disasters strike, tears will be shed. But a person still has to stop and admire the beautiful things and the glorious moments in the world because we only have so much time here. Embrace life as much as you can :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've had such a rough month, Tilda, and for your losses. But how special that you had a chance to spend some healing time enjoying all that Pacific coast beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tilda ,
    So very sorry for your losses,
    Nature always has a way of soothing souls.
    Your camp trip was a beautiful share.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new blog banner and I am SO sorry to hear about all the tragedies! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible month, Tilda... :o(

    I'm so glad you had a chance to get away and enjoy all that beauty. Except for the banana slug - that wasn't terribly beautiful. Well, I didn't think so anyway ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow. How terrible! I hope things get better from here.

    ReplyDelete