Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Unobtainable "Wilder Mann"


In April of this year, I saw the National Geographic article on Charles Freger's book "Wilder Mann" which documents the ancient and still-thriving European practice of men dressing up in stunning costumes as "Wild Men" at various festivals and events. I have a deep interest in such subjects, and went to Amazon to check out how much the book cost. At that time it was 34.00. Well, I thought, I'll wait until I have a little more disposable income and order some other books along with it.

Big mistake. I checked for the book today and the cheapest copy I could find (in English) is about 450.00, with prices ranging to over 1,000.00.  I almost started crying! The National Geographic article must have generated a frenzy for the book and all the new copies were sold out. And prices for existing copies are now sky high.

My only hope is to wait and see if there is a reprint.

There are some truly astonishing photos in this book and since many of you are probably like me and are not going to shell out hundreds of dollars for the book, I am directing you to the article here at National Geographic, and a collection of photos here.

2 comments:

  1. I've done that before - thinking I'd wait until I had more money to purchase all of set I'd always wanted (Art Nouveau Designers at the Paris Salons). They're now definitely out of my reach for the most part. But don't give up - I have been able to find one more in the series for $70 on Amazon, even though they don't come up all that often.

    Hopefully, one day you'll find a cheaper copy, after the frenzy has died down. A reprint is good, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you get sometime but in the meantime the photos and article link was an amazing travel into our connection to the natural world!

    ReplyDelete