Sunday, June 9, 2013

Voodoo Dragon In My Yard---The Random Gardener


The Random Gardener (that's me) wanted to share a plant that recently made an appearance in the yard. This, my dears, is called a "Voodoo Lily", also known as a "Dragon Flower" or by its Latin name Dracunculus Vulgaris. It also goes by "Stink Lily" because for a short time, it can smell like carrion, which apparently attracts the flies that it needs to be pollinated. Definitely one of the more exotic plants in my yard and, shall we say, the most "naughty" looking. I have some planted out by the sidewalk and people often just stop and stare at them with their mouths open. This year some of the plants bloomed in my back yard as well, probably because I have been watering back there more frequently. Seems to do well in the Pacific Northwest climate, even though it looks like it should be growing in the jungle. Wikipedia says it is native to the Balkans and Greece.





Pretty striking, don't you think? I picked up these bulbs in my local farmer's market, and have seen them at the garden store, so they aren't hard to find.. As long as you water them regularly, and don't overdo it, they are very easy to grow. I have some in partial shade, and some in full sun. Definitely for the gardener who likes something a little less traditional :)

5 comments:

  1. With names like: Voodoo Lily, Dragon Flower, Dracunculus Vulgaris, Stink Lily; a strangely sexually evoking form and attractive to flies, well yes this is an original and un-usual flower!
    I do like the fact that people stop by and open their mouths when they see it so I may go around Lowe's to see if I should give a good shock to some nasty neighbors I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah creepy cool flower. I've never seen anything like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this type of lily, but she's a beau! Your posts inspire me to get more experimental with my gardening and grow more than just food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voodoo stink flower- that is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flowers that smell like carrion? That's my kinda flower. Beautiful and smelly.

    ReplyDelete