Monday, March 25, 2013

Thorin is Hot---or, I Finally Saw "The Hobbit"

I wore my vintage Gollum belt buckle to the theater

So, I finally went to see The Hobbit. I like to wait until the hubbub has died down and I can have a seat with no one sitting in front of me.

Thorin is hot. Anyone else with me on this? I actually typed that into the search engine to see if anyone else was on my wavelength and I came up with this hilarious blog entry:
Thorin Dreamboatshield: An Unexpected Hotness of Dwarves

I was raised on the 70s Rankin/Bass animated Hobbit, which will always be dear to my heart, and which I still watch with some frequency. The Thorin of that version is much older and somewhat more whiny.

As per the new Hobbit movie---Radagast is a bit too goofy for my taste, but I can accept him (and I actually thought he should hook up with Aughra from The Dark Crystal. They'd make a good couple).

The rabbit sled was cool, I immediately loved it, but I was worried that there are no giant rabbits in Tolkien. My husband said "There are giant spiders, right? There are giant elephants. There are giant eagles. Why not rabbits?" Giant rabbits accepted.

I was less than impressed with the troll segment---Rankin/Bass does it better.

The music is great, Howard Shore never disappoints.

Thranduil with his "battle tiara" and great stag is intriguing.

I am looking forward to seeing what they do with Beorn. He never made it into the Rankin/Bass version.

I approve of bringing in things from the appendices even though sometimes it seems like the movie makers were straining because they knew they had to fill 3 movies.

I read a couple of reviews which used the words "garish" and "bloated" to describe the movie and in many ways I agree with that characterization. Why does everything have to be so loud, over the top and in your face these days? Yes, there is a lot of action in the book but there are also some very introspective and atmospheric moments which seem to be mostly missing in the new movie's telling of the story.

On the other hand, stories are told and retold and they gain and lose things in the retelling and it has been that way for thousands of years.

So, I will go see the movie again and, if they ever make a Radagast figure with his rabbit sled, well, I will get that and add it to my other figurines. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings have always been very important to me since I first read the books long ago at the age of 12. I have a certain reverence for them, but I am also open to newer incarnations.

Bring on the spiders, Peter Jackson :)


2 comments:

  1. My youngest daughter loved the movie, I didn't!
    I miss some parts of the book and after seeing all of Mr. Jackson's movies they all started to look and sound very similar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its harder for those of us who grew up with the book (and the 70s animated Hobbit) to come to terms with the loud, bombastic and 3D version of today. Most of how I originally "saw" the Hobbit was in my own head---put there by a combination of Tolkien's words and my own imagination about them.
    I do wonder what Tolkien might think of the Peter Jackson versions of his tales...

    ReplyDelete