Sunday, March 17, 2013

Gettin' Lucky With The Green: And A Shortbread Recipe!


I totally forgot that it was St Patrick's Day until my husband mentioned it. Another excuse for baking, says I!
I looked through my recipe books:

I wanted to make cupcakes and use the vintage cupcake picks you see at the top---but I finally settled on an old handwritten recipe stuffed into an ancient recipe folder.


The recipe is called "Real Petticoat Tail Shortbread" and I have no idea where I first got it. But, it is one of the best and easiest shortbread recipes I have ever used.

 I also have a recipe for "Green Tea Shortbread" that I found in Martha Stewart's Living. I was never impressed with the end result of that particular recipe---however, today I realized that I can combine these two together and make something special. There is just a hint of green tea taste (in my opinion)---you can add or subtract tablespoons to suit your own tastes  Don't like green tea that much? Just add one tablespoon.


Tilda's Updated Green Tea Petticoat Tail Shortbread

1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Matcha green tea powder
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly butter two 9 inch pie pans.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until the two are well-worked together.



Add the flour, green tea powder, and salt about 1/2 cup at a time, sifting it into the butter/sugar mixture and mixing together each time:



At the end, you will work it into a ball with your hands:



Split the dough into two parts and pat evenly into the two pie plates.

Prick and score the dough.



Bake for around 28-30 min. Do not let the top get too brown. Its a good idea to start checking on the shortbread a few minutes before the time is up. Cool on a rack for at least 15 min before eating.

The baking process will mostly obscure the scores you made---there will be enough of them left to give you a guide when you are cutting the shortbread.



No St Pats is complete without some beer. This is one I find very appropriate:




And for a toast, here is classic one, shown here on a vintage trivet:


SLAINTE!




3 comments:

  1. I didn't realise it was St Paddy's until last night..not that I need an excuse to have a few drinkies!!!
    That green tea shortbread is intriguing....I have a weird thing about shortbread, some lay over form childhood where I always feel panicky when I think about it!!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel panicky after I have eaten the 5 pieces of it that I usually eat in one sitting :0

    ReplyDelete