Thursday, March 14, 2013

A Little Bit Maudlin, A Little Bit Rock n Roll

David Byrne is coming to town in the summer. As I checked out the price of tickets (55.00 seated, 35.00 general admission, GROAN) I realized that this would be an interesting anniversary for David Byrne and I.
Because I first saw the Talking Heads on the "big suit" tour, in 1983. 30 years ago. 30 YEARS AGO!!!!!

Good Gods. How does this happen? Once I realized the full impact I started to get all sentimental and teary-eyed and I dragged out my tickets stubs to various shows saved over the years:


These are some of the first shows I saw, back when I was just a little kitten. And apparently, I have been seeing shows continuously for 30 years.


Here are some from the 90s/early 2000s. The Cramps, Nirvana, Motorhead, The Screaming Trees, White Zombie, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave....I want you to notice the Soundgarden/Alice in Chains ticket. That show cost 11.00.  11.00, people! You can barely get a fancy drink in a bar for 11.00 anymore!


I saw many, many rock shows. Everything from hardcore punk to alt country to experimental noise music, to pop, to folk, to metal. I've slacked off a little in the last decade or so simply because it is awkward sometimes to be around a bunch of 20 year olds. When I saw the Pixies reunion tour several years ago I was standing next to a guy who couldn't have been more than 18. When Kim Deal said something about a song on their first record, the kid went, "record?", like he didn't even know what that was. And he may not have. I've been feeling like the freaky older person at shows. Although there were a lot of freaky older people at that particular show.

Still, I haven't totally given up. Last year I saw, in no particular order:

Mark Lanegan
Yob
The Afghan Whigs
Accrassicauda  (an Iraqui heavy metal band, that now lives in the US. All you metal dudes who think you are so tough, shut up, take off your spiked armbands and septum rings, and go home. These guys survived raids and death squads to play their music!)
Lafa Taylor
The Ginger Ninjas
The Shook Twins
Weird Al Yankovic

I also watched the entire Wagner's Ring Cycle, the amazing Robert Lepage version, on PBS. I'm counting it because you can occasionally find me at operas as well as rock shows :) I'm also counting it because although it was pretty cool, it was hard work to watch the entire thing! And no, I did not watch it all in one sitting. I'm sure there are some Ring-heads out there who have, but I'm not one of them.

Anyhow, here I sit, dithering over whether to see David Byrne, 30 years later from when I first saw him, and be another freaky older person in the audience. And you know what?

I'm going.



4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I caught him at The Big Chill a few years ago and he was fantastic, floral tea dress and all! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! You've got to go! I love that you've kept all your stubs, all this time. I wish I had kept mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tilda, I'm so jealous of the fact that you have seeing so many incredible artist that I love and admire and even better that you kept so many of the tickets. I saw Billy Idol and Joan Jett and The Blackhearts back in 1983 in Puerto Rico and its still one of my all times favorite concerts. I also love going to concerts but unfortunately don't have many of my tickets or t-shirts any more since I lost then when I moved from Puerto Rico to The States.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the benefits of being a hoarder, ha ha! I also have most of the t-shirts I got at various shows. Ofelia, I bet that was a great Joan Jett show! I managed to catch her at a county fair a couple of years ago and she still seemed pretty rockin' :)

    ReplyDelete