Monday, January 14, 2013

The best way to handle winter doldrums is to fully embrace winter---that is what I did on Sunday. I have never been snowshoeing and I decided to go ahead and try it.
snow shadows  2013 Tea With The Squirrels


I borrowed my husband's snow shoes, grabbed a good friend, who also has never been snowshoeing, and headed out to my old stomping grounds, the area around Willamette Pass.



It was a ridiculously perfect day, clear blue skies and plenty of snow, all powdery and glittery:


This is the area I hike in the summer and I had been obsessed with seeing it in the winter time.

Odell overlook
What a magical winter wonderland! And here is my beautiful mountain, Diamond Peak, with her full winter mantle of snow:


I had camped out on her flanks in the summer see here, and was freezing cold then---I can't imagine how cold it must be up there now. And very avalanche-y I am sure!


Here is a small lake I usually see when hiking in the summer:



We spent around 4 hours snowshoeing. It was great fun! I think I needed smaller snowshoes however, as I fell a couple of times, tripping over my own feet. That, or I am just clumsy :) And boy, are my legs SORE today!  I personally love cross country skiing, and now snowshoeing, because you are away from all of the hustle and bustle of downhill. Its relaxing, and you can fully appreciate the landscape you are in. Plus, it is far less expensive!


My friend thought this looked like some kind of snow creature :)


I am very lucky to live in an area where the ocean and the mountains are just a 1 1/2 hour drive away. Plus, we have such dramatic landscapes here, due to our geological past. I left the mountains today with a great feeling of well-being.

Dear viewers, all the photos in this post are my own and are copyright 2013 Tea With The Squirrels

1 comment:

  1. Snowshoeing, it must be a perfectly lovely way to enjoy a magical wonderland of snow. You really were blessed with blue skies and beautifully glinting powder snow, Tilda. I wish it snowed in my part of the world, too.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete