Thursday, November 1, 2012

Here on the West Coast a super rainy Halloween night brought us a mere handful of trick or treaters. The grim reports from the East Coast temper my Halloween festivities with an acute sense of the painful realities that the people in the East must be facing. As we turn into the dark of the year, we keep in mind that life is fragile and "normal" is a relative term.

I ended up carving  my remaining pumpkins a few hours before darkness. Here is the "caged pumpkin" I made. I took a decorative wire birdcage, carved a small pumpkin that would fit inside, cut bat wings out of a sturdy cardstock and inserted them in slits in the sides of my pumpkin. Waaaalaaaa! The caged pumpkin! I used a battery-operated tea light for this guy because these smaller pumpkins tend to get all burned and funky when real flame candles are used:


The full moon the night before was spectacular with atmospheric clouds floating across it and a spooky halo.

The full moon of October is known as the Harvest Moon, the Hunter's Moon and the Blood Moon.


Remember, you are never too old to dress up and have some fun!




We have to take advantage of the fun and enjoyable moments of life---remembrance of the good times can often get us through the dark times.




2 comments:

  1. Where are you from on the west coast? I'm on the central Oregon coast.

    Hi! I am your newest follower and was hoping that you would follow me back!

    www.enjoyingtheepiphany.com

    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I am in Oregon too and often visit the central coast.
      Just joined your blog as well--thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete