Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Mushroom Show!


Dear viewers, I attended a long-running autumn tradition in the Willamette Valley---the annual Mount Pisgah Arboretum Mushroom Show. This beloved fund-raising event is put on by knowledgeable volunteers who gather wild mushrooms shortly before the event and display them on long tables with accompanying informative placards. It is a wonderland of fungi, conks and lichens! I am sharing some photos of them below---and I just have to say that I am not supplying these photos for identification purposes. If you plan to harvest mushrooms, the safest way is to take an experienced person with you and bring a good mushroom book or app with you. There are a lot of poisonous mushrooms out there and sometimes they can mimic the non-poisonous ones.

Okay, with that out of the way, here are some of the glories of the mycological world:

The classic Fly Agaric or Amanita Muscaria mushroom. 












Earth Star Mushroom















This is one of those mushrooms that has poisonous look-alikes











okay, this is one of the weirder mushrooms----if I saw this in the woods I would think it was poop!























This is a mere sampling of the many, many species that were on display at the show,
I took some time out to get a bite to eat at the LCC Culinary Arts booth---a delicious mushroom dish served in a flaky pastry shell. I forgot to see what kinds of mushrooms were in it---whatever they were, they were extremely tasty!


Then it was on to look at the scarecrow competition. There were quite a few this year and many were very imaginative:














Did you know that you can use mushrooms as a natural dye? This display showed the various colors that can be achieved with mushroom dye:





Finally, I ran into these delightful ladies who allowed me to take pictures of their awesome mushroom costumes:


Yay for fall and yay for fungi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment