Monday, October 8, 2012

Hello October! The nights are getting very chilly although we still have sunny days. I haven't quite figured out what my Halloween costume will be this year---usually, I already know by now! (Halloween is my favorite holiday). I've gotten out a lot of my decorations and costume stuff and have been playing around, getting into the mood. I tried to get my cat in on the fun:



But as you can see, she wouldn't hold still for me (but she looks a bit ghostly, no?)

After a little digital magic I came up with this haunted cat picture:




And here she is a bit later, refusing to look at me, haha!!!

 I like costumes with an old-fashioned flavor, and I love paper crepe! Victorian Trading Company carries some great masks and headbands, as well as full costumes:


That skull headband is a favorite :)  I like to start with a piece like this and then build my own costume off of it with stuff I already have (and since I have been collecting for awhile, there is a lot to work with!)

Here are a few masks from my collection. The vintage owl mask was a stupendous find at a thrift shop for 59 cents! The woven raffia one is maybe a Mexican or South American mask. It is creepy in its own way :)








This Dia De Los Muertos style mask was a purchase from Etsy. The cat skeleton painting on the forehead sold me, haha! You can find her work at MasqueFaire. What costumes are you planning for Halloween?

2 comments:

  1. We don’t have the tradition of Halloween in Japan, however, confectionary makers make it business to sell pumpkin pies and the likes. Your cat is lovely, sulky from being tired as a model. Your collection of masks looks scary but artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try Japanese pumpkin pies! I love the Japanese confections that I have tried---someday I will visit Japan and sample them there!

    ReplyDelete