Saturday, September 22, 2012



Today is the Autumnal Equinox. Here we find day and night to be equal lengths, so we are on the cusp of tipping into the shadow season. Fall is my favorite season, but this year I feel a little more bittersweet about it because it seemed like a short summer here in the Pacific Northwest. I always welcome the time of falling leaves, crisp air and pumpkins however, so I bought some mushrooms to make a celebratory pasta.

Portobello and shiitake mushrooms


And I got an apple off of my small tree and a pear from my friend's orchard.

And of course, some mead!! Mead is usually too sweet for me but this brand seemed to strike a good balance:



And so I made this meal, which was delicious!

SecondChanceCeramics is where I purchased this lovely square dish.





It was super easy. I just got some fresh spinach pasta, the kind you get in the refrigerated section of your grocer, and which you only cook for 2 minutes in boiling water.  I took the four mushrooms I got, plus one medium zucchini and a clove of garlic and chopped them all up. I sauteed them in a couple of tablespoons of butter and then added a little fresh rosemary. I put that over the freshly cooked pasta. For the salad, I chopped up the apple and pear into chunks, put a dash of balsamic vinegar over it and then garnished it with a little more rosemary.
I love balsamic vinegar and put it on everything from fruit to greens to even ice cream!

I am definitely looking forward to getting pumpkins and trying some new pumpkin recipes---plus, of course, carving them :)


Graphics Fairy


 Happy Fall!




1 comment:

  1. I think I know why you feel bittersweet about the arrival of autumn after the “short summer”. Autumn is my favorite season, too. The cool and crisp air of autumn really makes up for the sultry summer (in my corner of the world) and increases my eating appetite. You made me hungry.

    Thanks for your visit.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete